9.10.2013

swagnar.


Two posts in one day? Who am I? 

So yesterday I signed up to run the Ragnar Relay in Las Vegas in two months with some friends. Seriously, who am I. We know I'm not a runner. I've tried. But I promised myself earlier this year that I'd do a half marathon before I turn 25 {25!}, and while this isn't necessarily that, all my legs combined will be a little more than 13 miles. So I'll count it. Plus we know I'm all about the free t-shirts, and Ragnar comes with those and a MEDAL.

So as I've said quite a few times before, I never thought my body was made to do long distances. As a tennis player and dancer all growing up, I was used to shorter spurts of energy. So this is a little scary terrifying. But I'm also really excited to push myself. I went for a run today, and while it wasn't very long at all, it was a little tough. But I pushed through and as I ran up the steps to my apartment with the Rocky theme song playing {you know you do it too}, it felt awesome! 

So here's my question to anyone who might read this who runs {I'm still convinced the only people who read are my mom and dad}. How do you train for a 5K/10K/half marathon/marathon? I'd love the advice, and I'll love you forever. I feel like running is one of those things where everyone has their own opinion, so I'm trying to hear as many as I can. Please and thank you. Now I'm off to stretch my achey legs. 

4 comments:

  1. The best advice I've gotten is to do it every day. (And maybe use Sunday as your rest day.) I've noticed much more progress when I try to run a little bit each day, rather than running to see how far I can run and then trying to beat that goal the next time I run. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice article, we're not so good in running, but love the blog
    good luck!!!
    http://www.we-heart-fashion.com facebook/bloglovin
    shall we follow?
    greetings from Holland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lift weights, cycle and swim! It's super important to cross train when you're training for a big run like this.... you will be less prone to injury and your joints will hold up much better. I'm especially a huge advocate of the weight lifting side :) Also, I'm definitely no personal trainer, but I've had bad knees for years and also been an avid runner so there's my two cents ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always find a running schedule online that starts at a distance I am comfortable running and then works up to my goal distance. Then stick to it! That's the hardest part, but I did that with both my marathon and half marathon and it worked really well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete