6.05.2012

little sister.


So we wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder. So what?

Dear Whitney,

Today you turn 21, and I can't believe it. I remember when I turned 21 two years ago, and I remember how excited, nervous, and happy I was to finally be "legal" {although don't get too excited. In Mormondom, there's not a whole lot you can do when you reach this blessed birthday}. Turning 21 feels like being thrust into adulthood, and it comes with all sorts of responsibilities. I know you'll be able to handle it though, and I'm excited to watch as you continue figuring out who you are and why you're here. 

Growing up with you was just fun. Yes we fought, and probably too much, and I'll take 51.2% of the blame for it, but the times that stick out the most in my memory were days we spent playing dress up, or playing with our American Girl dolls {I will still never forgive you for having three while I only had one}, or jumping on the trampoline {sorry for breaking your leg}. I'll remember the days we ganged up on Tyler and Devin, the days when we climbed trees in the front yard of our Granite Bay house. When did we get this old?? Can we go back?

I've loved watching you develop your talents. While I was the overly organized, sometimes too uptight one, you were the creative, artsy, free spirit. And still are. Although I think I'm a little less uptight now. But back to you. Thank you for always reminding me that life shouldn't be taken too seriously. Thanks for being silly with me {"chew on that while I chew on this"}, for singing in the car, and for all the weird crazy things we do.

Thank you for being mature when sometimes I'm not, for sending me great scriptures or quotes when I need them most, and for telling me what I need to hear sometimes. If there's anything I admire about you, it's that you don't hold back when something needs to be said. That's something I'm working on.

I hope that you had a great birthday, and I can't wait to see you this weekend. Neither can some of my guy friends. :) I love you, Whitey!! Or Whitster, whichever you prefer. 

Love,
Lex

No comments:

Post a Comment