1.31.2013

we're just going to call this a late-night vent.

don't worry, if you look at the top of this photo you'll see I'm working my way through "Friends" again.

Today I took a personality test, which was kind of fun. I actually secretly like personality tests a lot. It's interesting to me to see what the interwebs have to say about me, what my love language is {physical touch followed closely by quality time in case you're interested}, and what my colors are {primarily blue}. I think the one above is pretty accurate, don't you? Sometimes my need to be in charge got me in trouble when I was younger.

This has been one of those weeks where I've been a caregiver. Don't get me wrong, giving service is something that I'm happy to do. It makes me feel good to help other people out. I love feeling useful, and it's flattering when someone asks me, of all people, for help.

But here's some real talk. Sometimes I wonder when I can just catch a break, you know? This week there have been so many opportunities to help other people out and it's kept me busy, but it's also burned me out a little bit too. Tonight I was feeling a little bit selfish, asking, "Hey! I've been helping others out, where's my little slice of something?" For the past month I've been so motivated, so ready, so on the go, and it feels like I'm running out of fuel.

My parents always seem to have the best timing and happen to be in Utah when I feel a little bit like giving up on some things, and they'll be here in two days, praise the heavens. I need them. Parents are just the best, aren't they?

I also received the sweetest text from one of my Relief Society counselors that made my day. One of those tender mercies, right? She probably had no idea that I needed to hear what she had to say.

I don't even know if this makes sense since it's 1:20am and I tend to ramble when it's late, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm in the middle of learning a lesson. Helping others out is so great and so kind, but it's important that we don't forget to take care of ourselves in the process. And I've done that a little bit, and it's been frustrating.

So I'm taking the day off tomorrow. Is that okay? For just one day? I think so. I'm going to treat myself to a good Pilates workout, a Chipotle burrito, and maybe a little bit of shopping {bless you, payday}. I just need to get back to feeling like myself, because I'm not right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment