2.05.2013

the one with the mission call.


Guys, he's doing it. Devin Justesen is going on a mission. How do I feel about sending my little brother across the world? So happy, a little scared, and so unbelievably proud.

I cried more than I thought I would when he read "Dear Elder Justesen..." on Saturday morning. When did this little guy grow up? He's still a baby, right?

Nope, he's not. He's a mature 18 year old, who is willingly going to give two years of his life to teach people he doesn't know, in a place he's never been, using a language he's never spoken, and he is so excited about it.

Devin is one of those who just gets people. He relates to them, he listens, he makes them laugh. When I say he is the funniest person in the world, I mean it. He is so humble, so non-judgmental, so warm-hearted. He was always the peacemaker when the rest of us were fighting. Like really girls...when he gets back, watch out.

Thanks, Devin, for everything you've taught me. I'm just going to brag a little bit more about you. Devin and I had a conversation the night before he opened his call, and I asked what his thoughts were about where he would go. And, after getting serious, he said, "Lex, I'm ready to go where Heavenly Father wants me to go, teach who He wants me to teach, and love who He wants me to love." And that's stuck with me. The thing about Devin is that you know that that sentence was as sincere as they come. I hope I can be a little more like that.

So here's to you and your mission, Devin. I know the people of Tokyo, Japan will love you as you teach them the gospel. Just make sure they send you back in two years. I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to keep you. :)

* I'd just like to state for the record that back in high school I told him he would go to Japan, and in the last few months as he was putting his papers in, I said he was going to Asia. So...there. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment