10.22.2013

a letter to my little guy.


I got some really great responses for my last post {thank you!}, so I thought it might be kind of fun to write a letter to any future boys I might have and round out this little series. Granted, I've never been a boy, but I sure have spent a lot of time with them throughout my life, and I'd like to think I've learned a few things in my last 24 years that I'd hope to teach my future boys.

Dear Son,

I know you're not here yet, but I can't wait until you are. Don't tell anyone, but when I grew up babysitting, boys were always my favorite. :) You're all just so fun! I can't wait to spend hours playing catch with you, and kicking around a soccer ball, and reading to you.

As you grow up, there are a few things that I hope I can teach you. First, I want to teach you how to have a sense of humor. My dad and my brothers have great ones, and I hope that's something you inherit, too. You'll find that a sense of humor will allow others to feel comfortable around you, it can diffuse negative situations, and it'll just make you awesome. It's so important to learn that you can't take life too seriously. I hope you learn to have some fun!

I hope that I can teach you how to respect others, especially your elders. There's not enough of that today, and that makes me sad. Older people always have so much wisdom and smarts, and, while you might not want to admit it sometimes {especially when you're an angsty teenager}, they're almost always right. Take it from me, a teenager who had her angsty moments, your parents are right 95% of the time. And just so you know, this isn't my sneaky way of making sure you listen to me someday. I've still got some learning to do before I can tell you that I'm always right. ;) But I hope you listen to your teachers, your parents, your grandparents, and any other good, influential older people you come across in your life.

Along with respecting adults, I want to teach you to respect women. Know that the girls you associate with are just as awesome as you, they're just awesome in different ways. NO ONE is superior in any way. And just a tip, when you start dating, girls will watch how you treat other women, how you talk about them, what you think about them. And nothing is more attractive than a guy who respects us, and nothing is more unattractive than a guy who doesn't. So be aware. ;)

Along this line of respect, I hope I can teach you to respect yourself. Never be too hard on yourself. Life is tough! And sometimes you'll be overwhelmed, but that's okay. I hope you learn to be optimistic and just keep truckin'. Know that you are loved, you are important, and that as long as you don't give up, you'll have a hard time failing.

I hope you love what you do. Whether you decide to be an astronaut, a doctor, a pirate, I hope you're lucky enough to love it. I hope you're passionate about whatever you decide to do with your life. I was lucky to grow up with parents who love what they do, and I saw the benefits that come from that.

I hope I can teach you to be a good friend. If I've learned anything it my life, it's that to have good friends, you have to be one first. So do all that you can to make time for other people, and when you listen, really listen. Because I promise you're going to need people to really listen to you.

Lastly, I hope I can teach you to hang onto your childhood for as long as you can. Too many kids today want to grow up so fast, and I promise that once you do, you sure miss that childhood. I hope your imagination stays with you for a long time, and I hope that you know that it's okay to use it.

I sure love you, Squirt, and I can't wait to meet you someday.

Love,
Your snarky, hardheaded, crazy mom

1 comment: