11.27.2013

parade > turkey.

In my humble opinion, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is the greatest part of Thanksgiving. Every year, without fail, I park myself in front of the TV, sleepy-eyed and still in PJs, and watch as Snoopy, Kermit, Mickey, and many other characters make their way down Central Park West. There's something nostalgic about it, something sort of magical. It's like the holidays are officially being ushered in. And then ohmygosh when Santa Claus closes out the whole thing. When I was a little girl I wouldn't allow anyone to turn off the TV or change the channel to football until I saw Santa. And when I say "little girl" I mean that I still do this every year.

I heard on the news that, with this huge storm on the East Coast, the balloons might not happen tomorrow. Please bless that this isn't true.

The parade has been around for almost 90 years, and I found some vintage photos of the balloons from the 1920s-1940s. Amazing how much they've changed, right? and yet the excitement is still just as strong.






And then the big moment...when Christmas officially begins:


My reaction tends to be something along the lines of this:


I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and holiday season. There's quite a bit to be thankful for, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment