1.02.2013

oh my word.


I know a girl who, instead of making resolutions each year, picks a word to focus on instead. While I'm still going to work on my resolutions {because come on. Who doesn't want to learn how to play the ukulele?}, that idea really sparked something in me. So yesterday, I spent all day thinking of a word I want to make my own for 2013. And I found one.

Calm.

Doesn't that just sound great? Not in one of those obnoxious "keep calm and carry on or...insert verb here" kind of ways, but just the word {is anyone else ready for those to disappear?}. Calm. Just being it.

I'm a pretty easy-going person with other people. It takes a lot to get on my nerves or annoy me, and I don't tend to be overly dramatic. But when it comes to being with myself, I notice that every once in a while, I lose my ability to be in control of how I feel.  And when I lose control all that calm disappears and I become anxious and nervous and freaked out. I don't like not knowing that's coming around the corner. I'm a planner. And when I can't plan, I stress. This is why I want some calm in my life. I want to be able to kick back and tell myself, when things aren't going my way, to be calm.

While perusing the interwebs {okay, pinterest} for some pretty images of the word "calm," I found an image that I really loved. It had the words "karma cleanse" at the top, and underneath was a list of how to do that:
  • be grateful
  • act with love
  • check your motives
  • watch your attitude
  • forgive
Beautiful, right? Those 5 things are going to be my driving force this year. And they're definitely things I need to work on. But I have this good feeling that each one of those will bring more calm into my life.

So there it is, my word for 2013. If you choose a word to focus on too, I want to hear about it. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I am copying this! My word for the year is positivity. I always admire people who handle things without being jaded or skeptical, so that's the person I'm going to try to become this year. Thanks for the great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete