6.17.2013

a letter to the captain.


Dear Dad,

First off, happy {late} Father's Day! I just want to let you know that I know that I'm the luckiest. Not many can say that. I'm the luckiest because I have a dad who loves me so much, so much more than I deserve. I have a dad who taught me everything I know, and who still teaches me every day. I have a dad who works so hard to provide for me and the rest of my family, who taught me the value of hard work, of saving, and of knowing when to put aside work for fun.

Thank you for never missing a dance recital, a soccer game, or an event that was important to me. Thank you for always making yourself available whenever I need you, and for knowing when to put aside things that were probably more important at the time just to listen to me.

Thank you for teaching me the value of knowing how to throw a baseball and a football, of knowing how to ask questions, of how fun a motorcycle can be. It was always fun to be your little tomboy. And thank you most importantly for teaching me how to diffuse a tough situation with humor. I see your sense of humor come out in me more and more each day and for that I couldn't be happier.

Thank you for teaching me that I can't feel sorry for myself, but to rub some dirt in it and move on. :) It'll eventually get better. Although at the time I always hated when you'd ask something along the lines of, "Well, what are you going to do about it?", I appreciate that that question pushed me.

You're the best of the best, Dad. I love you.

And now, at your request, some of my favorite Alexa/Dad memories:

1. Hundreds of motorcycle rides followed by Slurpees from 7-11

2. When you coached my t-ball and basketball teams

3. Getting the motorcycle stuck in a ditch in Price when I was 7. I thought we were going to die but you knew we wouldn't

4. The Sunday we spent at the SLC cemetery finding as many former presidents of the Church that we could

5. Learning how to drive the truck in a church parking lot and your patience when I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to do it

6. That time you hit me in the head with a baseball and I didn't speak to you for a few hours

7. Practicing our "dip" for weeks before my baptism because I wanted it to be perfect

8. Hours and hours of "The Cosby Show" and "Home Improvement." You will forever be the perfect hybrid of Tim Taylor and Cliff Huxtable

9. The time you read me my BYU acceptance letter over the phone and cried because you knew how hard I worked to be a Cougar

10. Rocking out to Chicago, the Eagles, and Boston. My appreciation for classic rock was influenced directly by you

Love you, Captain.

No comments:

Post a Comment